Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Author Interview with Julia Crane




Author Name: Julia Crane

Book Title: Coexist: Keegan’s Chronicles

Book Category/Genre: YA

Link to book: Coexist: Keegan’s Chronicles

Book Trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9S5rXgjlok






Tell us what the book is about:

Sixteen-year-old Keegan is struggling to keep her huge secret from her friends--she's an elf, descended from a long line of elves that live in secrecy alongside humans.

In elfin society, mates are predetermined but not allowed to meet until they are eighteen. Against tradition, Keegan's brother Thaddeus told her Rourk's name because his visions warned him she'd need Rourk's protection, especially since Keegan will play a key role in the coming war between the dark and light elves.

Rourk finds himself drawn to Keegan's side every time she thinks his name. He wants to talk to her but remains in the shadows, silently guarding her every time she mentally beckons him. A twist of fate thrusts the two of them together when Rourk is forced to step up his protection and make his presence known.

An ancient prophecy deeply entwines Keegan's family and the future of their society. Somehow they must find a way to thwart fate and win the battle...without losing Keegan. With war brewing, and dark forces aligning, will Keegan and Rourk ever have the life together that they both desire?

What would you say the theme of the book is? Destiny

Do you have a favorite character from your novel(s)? I think Thaddeus is my favorite character. He’s Keegan’s younger brother who was born with the gift to sight. He is the child of the prophecy and the only chance the light elves have to avoid extinction. That is a lot of weight to put on a twelve year olds shoulder.

What motivates you to write? Do you write everyday? My current motivation is to finish book 2 in the series. It’s taking longer than I expected. I write something everyday. Even if it’s not for Conflicted. I have a couple of other stories in the works. I try to write 1,000 words a day, but often I will only get around 500.


Who would be most interested in this novel? Coexist is a young adult novel so my target audience is teens. However, I have gotten a lot of positive feedback from adults as well.

What prompted you to write the book? I finally had the time to sit down and write again. We moved to Dubai, and I suddenly had a lot of free time. I was used to being busy running a small business. I happened to read a news article about self publishing and the world that e-books has opened for authors. I sat down and started writing. I always had the story in the back of my mind it was fun to see it come to life.

Who are your favorite authors? Too many to mention. I love to read and many different genres. I love Ken Follett, Ayn Rand, John Sandford, James Patterson etc… I could go on and on. There really aren’t many books I dislike.

Would one of your books be a good movie? Of course, I think all books could be made into a good movie. However, books are always better.

What is your dream job? I have my dream job. I’m fortunate enough to be able to stay home with my kids and write. What more could I ask for?

What projects do you have planned for the future? I want to finish the Keegan’s Chronicles series, and I’m also working on a couple of short stories, I have an idea for a children’s book I’m eager to get started on. Basically, I just plan on writing and see where it takes me.

Thanks for having me!

No comments:

Post a Comment